Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Muffin Madness Recipes - Pumpkin Muffins

All but one of my children attended the same preschool with the same teacher, Teacher Sue. My oldest child still hasn't forgiven me for not sending her to preschool. Every October in Teacher Sue's class, the kids make pumpkin muffins. Each child gets to take home a bag with several muffins, that they helped make, home to their family. After child number two I had to ask for the recipe. This is the recipe Teacher Sue gave me and it has become one of my family's all-time favorite muffins.

Every October I buy a couple of cheap pumpkins and cut them up and cook them. Then I package them into one cup packages (in Ziplock bags) and put all the little bags in one big bag and put the whole thing in the freezer. Then all year long I have pumpkin for my muffins.

Pumpkin Muffins
makes 1 dozen

Cream together:

1/2 c. margarine or butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs

Stir in:

1 c. pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 c. flour (can use part whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix until uniform but not smooth. Pour into muffin tins and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. You can, of course, make mini muffins out of these. When I make these with whole wheat I feel like my kids are getting a fruit serving and a grain serving, with milk it is an almost perfect snack.

Jill

No comments: