Menu planning this week was going to be fun because we can have whatever we want!! If I don't have something, I can go to the store!
But then I sat down to plan and I ended up with a bunch of meals that are pretty cheap anyway. The one exception is we are having cheese-beer soup which takes a lot of cheese! And by the way, we are using non-alcoholic beer. The soup ends up tasting somewhat like fondue, and it is really good. Since it started raining here, I'm now in the mood for soup and bread. Big, hearty bowls of soup with warm loaves of homemade bread. Yum!
One of the things that I realized as I was shopping yesterday was that during our month of nothing we ate a lot healthier than normal. We ate oatmeal for breakfast, lots of brown rice and beans. We snacked on fruit and oatmeal and homemade snacks (made with whole wheat flour). And I just ate less than usual because there wasn't crackers, cookies and chips laying around. Maybe I should go back to spending less?
Menus for this week:
- oatmeal (we've become addicted to this homemade "instant" oatmeal, so good and healthy)
- toast with jam
- egg salad sandwiches
- lunch meat sandwiches
- lunch meat and cheese sticks (me)
- fruit, crackers
- hummus with pita chips
- brown rice, beans, chili's and cheese crockpot (a new recipe, I let you know how it works out)
- cheese-beer soup and bread (or biscuits)
- chicken enchiladas, rice, veggies
- polenta with red sauce, french bread, steamed broccoli
- spanish tortilla