Sunday, March 1, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - March 1 - 7


I'm having so much fun doing this "Frugal Feasting" series! I've posted some yummy recipes and I've gotten great feedback from everyone. The whole idea of the Frugal Feasting series is to help people eat great while not spending a ton of money.

So far I've posted about Mega Cooking and posted one of my favorite mega-cooking recipes, Cincinnati Chili.

I've posted about baking at home and posted recipes for Soft Breadsticks and Artisan bread at home.

I've posted about vegetarian cooking and recipes for Broccoli Cottage Cheese Casserole and Cheese and Bread Soufflé.

I've talked about buying things on sale and recipes to use up your sale items like Italian Chicken.

This week we are going to be talking about using beans in your cooking to save money. Everyone always talks about cheap eating as being "beans and rice." And they can be right, but "beans and rice" don't have to be "boring and flavorless." Come with me while I share some of my favorite bean meals and ideas.

For meals this week we are having some beans and we are having cheese! My local Winco had 2 lb blocks of cheese on sale for $3.98. That is very cheap for cheese! So I bought lots, cheese lasts a long time if you keep it well packaged. So this week, we are eating some cheesy meals!

Breakfasts:
  • Cereal and milk
  • Bread and jam
  • yogurt, granola and fruit parfaits
  • pumpkin bread from the freezer
Dinners
  • Spanish Tortilla
  • Quesadillas
  • Homemade Pizza
  • Homemade Mac and Cheese
  • Toasted Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup
  • Bean soup and bread
If you need even more ideas for meal time, go check out Menu Plan Monday on Organizing Junkie!

Jill

3 comments:

momstheword said...

I am trying to cook more meatless meals too. So far I've experimented with lentils and brown rice. My husband raved about the lentil tacos at church and I've been asked for the recipe (which is pretty funny because it's from recipezaar, lol!). I never dreamed I'd actually eat or like lentils.

Alison said...

Would you please post your mac 'n' cheese recipe?

Nancy said...

Sounds like a good week. We're having Beans & Rice con questo this week. A new recipe for us but I'll share it if it's yummy.

I am enjoying your Frugal Feasting series. I'll be back to read more.
And, I've got a link to you on my menu post today.