Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Soft Breadsticks

Sometimes while I'm fixing dinner I suddenly realize that this meal would really benefit from having some bread on the side. Only, it's 15 minutes until the food is done and I haven't started any bread!! Arrgh!

Then I take a deep breath and start making Soft Breadsticks. And 15 minutes later, we have bread with dinner. All is right with the world.

I got this recipe from Taste of Home magazine years and years ago. I have used it many, many, many times since. It is just that easy and that good. Try it and you'll see why we make it so often.

Soft Breadsticks

In a small bowl combine:

1 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Stir to combine well. Add

2/3 c. milk

Stir until a soft dough forms. This is kind of like biscuit dough, you don't want to be too tough with it or the breadsticks will be tough. Roll the dough out to a rectangle approximately 10" x 5" and about 1/2 " thick. Cut it into 12 breadsticks.

In a 9x13 pan melt 3 Tbs. of butter or margarine. Place the breadsticks in the pan, flipping to coat both sides. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place in a 450 degree oven for 14 -18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

  • I almost always need less milk. Don't add it all at once, you can always add more, but it is really hard to take it out if you used too much!!
  • Sometimes I sprinkle them with garlic powder and sesame seeds. You could do poppy seeds or a combo also.
  • We always double this recipe. I have a half-sheet cake pan that fits the doubled recipe perfectly. You could use two 9x13's if you don't have a big pan.
I don't have a picture of this recipe because we always eat them too fast. Yeah, it's not because I forgot, it's because they were gone so fast.

If you want more recipe ideas, hop on over to The Grocery Cart Challenge and check 'em out!


Nancy said...

Those sound good! I'm surprised that you can have a homemade bread ready in that short amount of time.

Duckygirl said...

I'm copying this down right now...I think this is going to save me on a LOT of nights!! Thank you :)


Snow White said...

a homemade bread that's ready that quick is wonderful - thanks for sharing!

SavingSomeGreen said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

Snow White said...

I made these tonight -- they tasted great but didn't look super pretty... I think I added too much milk.