Monday, April 28, 2008

Good Stuff


I made some granola today. I love making homemade granola, it makes me feel so domestic! I feel like I'm making something healthy and wholesome for my family and I'm using my food storage and getting something for a lot cheaper than I could get it at the store. Homemade granola is easy, here is the basic formula:

7 cups dry stuff - oats (use at least 3 cups of these), wheat flakes, whole wheat flour, flax meal, soy flour, oat bran, wheat bran, dry milk, nuts, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc), coconut, etc.

1 cup wet stuff - oil, honey, melted margarine, peanut butter, corn syrup, brown sugar (add 2 TBS water for every 1/2 c. of brown sugar), vanilla.

Mix the dry stuff together in a big bowl then drizzle wet ingredients over them (you can heat the wet stuff up to make it easier to pour). Stir them together until there are no more powdery spots. Pour this whole concoction into a large pan that you have sprayed with Pam and stick the whole thing in the oven at 300 degrees. Stir every 15 minutes or so for about an hour or until it is golden brown. Let it cool and then eat. After it is cool you can add dried fruit (raisins, dried cranberries, dried apples etc.).

My family loves this stuff on yogurt, on ice cream, as cereal, and to snack on straight out of the bowl. Since I'm using whole grains I think it is ok. The whole grains cancel out the sugar and calories from the ice cream, right?

Jill

No comments: