Friday, September 26, 2008

I Love Fall

I love fall! I love the leaves. I love the crisp cool mornings and evenings. I love the smell of fall in the air. The light feels different in the fall - maybe the different slant of the earth? I love going back to school. (I also love this picture, it is of my daughter Tali on a trip to Portland State University, my alma mater (go Viks!). My husband gave me a framed copy of this picture with the words "Life is an occasion. Rise to it." This quote is from the movie "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" and is my motto for life.)

When fall comes I feel the need to prepare for winter. I want to can applesauce and pears. I want to stock my pantry. Anyone else get this feeling in fall?

I am so busy these days that I don't feel like I have time to do any of the things I want to do. But I do want to do applesauce. My children are addicted to applesauce!! The take it with graham crackers for lunch. The eat it as snacks, before bed, and after school. In addition, I use it in place of oil in baking. I use in my latest "favorite" recipe (it changes weekly it seems), Cinnamon Bread Delight. If I run out of applesauce in January, I'm in trouble! But when do I find time to do applesauce? I guess tomorrow I could do some and then afternoons next week. I'd like to do 40 to 50 quarts of applesauce. Sheesh, that sound like a lot!

I think I'll go back outside and enjoy the leaves. Maybe go for a walk. If I go downtown I could walk here:This is Portland State again. This is so Portland! Look at all the bikes. Portland is the bike capital of the world! Actual we have a very "bike-friendly culture" and you can sure see it in this picture! If I walk here maybe I could forget about 50 quarts of applesauce. Probably not.

Ok, tomorrow I get up early and buy 100 lbs of apples and start making applesauce.

But I'm not going to like it.

Jill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, I stumbled upon your blog by accident and I like it =) So I've linked you to mine.