Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Baking Banana Bread with Boy



I looked at the fruit basket the other day and noticed that the bananas all had come down with a serious case of "banana pox." You know that disease, right? When the bananas are all covered with brown spots! I knew it was time to make banana bread, and I'd have enough to make a double batch.

I got my banana bread recipe from my mother, who got it from her grandmother. My mom was not much of a baker (although she was an excellent cook) but one thing that she did bake was banana bread. I remember toasting slices up and slathering them with butter, oh so good! I've been making banana bread my whole married life and it is especially fun now that I can involve my kids in the experience. My son Kaden loves to help me cook and bake.

He loves to measure, stir, and pour things. He especially likes eating the end result! That is fine with me, I love to bake for an appreciative audience!

Banana Bread

makes one loaf

Stir together in a bowl:

2 c. sifted flour (I use 1 c. white flour, 1 c. whole wheat flour)
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. sugar

Combine in a separate bowl:

1/2 c. finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1 egg well beaten
1 c. mashed bananas
1/3 c. melted shortening (that is what the recipe says, I use melted butter/margarine)
1/4 c. milk

Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Stir until mixed but don't over stir it. Pour into a greased 5x9 loaf pan and bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Notes:

I use unsweetened applesauce for part of the marg/butter.

I have used the soy flour/water substitute for the egg in this recipe with good results.

I rarely put the nuts in because most of my children do not like nuts in things. They will eat nuts plain but they don't want them in anything. Go figure.

Jill

No comments: