Monday, June 23, 2008

Cookies to Die For!


I own a bazillion cookbooks. No really, if there is such a number as "bazillion" then I have that many cookbooks. I don't buy a cookbook unless I've checked it out of the library at least three times, I figure by then it has enough good stuff that I should own it. The one exception to this rule was that one time I joined a "book-of-the-month" club. When you joined you got six books for a dollar (or something like that). I joined because there was one book I was drooling over and I figured if I could get it for a buck it was worth it (that book was Homebaking by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid.). I ended up getting several books that I had never read/looked. When they first came I looked through them and put them on my shelf. I have been going through my cookbooks again and finding some great stuff.

The book I'm going through right now is called The All-American Cookie Book, Nancy Baggett. I is sort of a history of cookies in America. The one I tried today is called Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Drops. Can you say "to die for?" Oh. My. Goodness. If you like caramel, like I do, these are amazing. The frosting recipe that is in the book didn't work for me and I ended up throwing out a lot of weird-looking-burned-caramel-smelling stuff. I found another recipe on CDKitchen, it was fabulous. My kids (and husband) ate almost half the recipe before I frosted them and loved them so I guess you could do it either way (go with the frosting).

Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Drops

Mix in a bowl and set aside:

2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour (I used about 1/2 c. whole wheat, cause I'm just like that)
1 tsp. baking soda
generous 1/4 tsp salt

In another large bowl or bowl of your stand mixer, beat together:

1 c. (two sticks) butter
1 1/3 c. brown sugar

When the butter/sugar mixture is light and fluffy add:

2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

When it is combined add half of the flour mixture then add:

2/3 c. sour cream

Then add the other half of the flour mixture. If you want them, add:

3/4 c. chopped pecans (I didn't have any and my family has this whole "no nuts in things")

Drop by tablespoons on cookies sheet. With greased (or wet) fingers, press the tops so the cookies are relatively flat. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes. Put on wire rack to cool. Top with Caramel Frosting.

Caramel Frosting

Melt in medium saucepan:

1/2 c. butter

When melted, add 1 c. packed brown sugar

Stir and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil (still stirring) for two minutes. Add:

1/4 c. milk

Bring back to a boil then remove from heat. Stir well. Cool to lukewarm then add:

2 c. powdered sugar

Stir well and cool (put your pan in a bowl that has cold water in it). Use to frost cookies. YUM!

I'm off to look for more cookie recipes.

Jill

No comments: