Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Only the Best Waffles, Ever!




Don't you love it when you finally find the perfect recipe for something? You know, that peanut sauce that tastes exactly like the local Thai restaurant? Or those biscuits that taste just like you remember from childhood? I'm always on the lookout for the Perfect Recipe for everything. My husband claims that someday I will find the One Perfect Recipe and I'll stop reading cookbooks.

I don't think so.

But I can cross one perfect recipe off my list - waffles! I have been looking for a recipe for waffles that is crisp on the outside, tender on the inside and not doughy. I have finally found it and even better, it is super easy. You make them the night before and let them rise in the fridge overnight. Then add a few quick ingredients in the morning and bake 'em up. These are only the best waffles, ever.

Yeasted Waffles

This recipe originally came from the book Bread For Breakfast, by Beth Hensperger. I have altered it to work better for me. The original recipe calls for brown rice flour, not something I keep on hand. I substituted whole wheat flour and increased the proportion of wheat flour to white flour. It is healthier and uses stuff I have on hand.

The night before you want to serve them, place in a large bowl:

1/2 c. warm water
2 1/2 teaspoon yeast (one package)

Allow the yeast to dissolve for about 5 minutes or so. Make sure you use a really big bowl, the batter will double in size overnight and you don't want waffle batter all over your fridge!

To the bowl add:

2 cups warm milk. It just needs to be kinda warm, not really warm.
1 stick margarine or butter, melted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white all purpose flour

Mix well. I use a wire whisk for this and beat it really good. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (or a lid if the bowl has one) and put it in the fridge over night. In the morning it will look something like this:
It is bubbly and frothy and way more than twice the size it was last night. This is good.

To this mix you add:


2 eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda


Whisk everything until it is smooth and the eggs are completely combined. Pour into your waffle maker and close the lid.

Wait patiently.

Ok, not so patiently because they smell really good while they are cooking! When the waffle iron says they are done (or when most of the steaming stops) open the lid and behold the perfect waffle.

Try not to moan as you eat it because your children will mock you. Ask me how I know.

Serve with butter, syrup and/or jam. I eat them plain while I am cooking the next batch, because they are just that good.

Notes:

  • You can play with the proportions of flour. If your family wants all whole wheat, try it. I never have but I've done much higher proportions than half and half.
  • This is a good way to introduce your family to whole wheat if they are resistant to the idea, the whole wheat adds a nice crunch without weighing the waffle down.
  • I have used less butter and added a little unsweetened applesauce with good results.
  • I always, always, always make a double batch and freeze the extras. They reheat well in the toaster and that way I can serve waffle for breakfast without doing any work. Yeah, me!

Enjoy!

Jill

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.