Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Apple-Oatmeal Bars

Do you ever have that last apple in the fruit basket that is a little too wrinkly to eat? You know, it isn't exactly bad, but it isn't good either. I finally found something to do with it - make Apple Oatmeal Bars! I love this recipe because it is cheap (I actually found the recipe in my Tightwad Gazette book), uses stuff that I always have on hand, and is actually kind of healthy for my kids. A triple threat! Oh, and it is easy to make. A quadruple threat? Is there such a thing?

First thing you do is peel and chop your apple (or apples). You can make this with one apple but it is even better if you have two. If you only have one, you can supplement with dried cranberries, frozen blueberries, some peeled sliced pears, or maybe even raisins. Chop the fruit so it looks like this:You don't want to mince it, just cut it into bite size pieces. (If you use blueberries, please, please, please don't try to cut them and then complain to me. Blueberries and cranberries are fine just the way they are, folks!). Set your apples aside and mix in a bowl:

1 c. oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter
1 c. flour (I use 1/2 c whole wheat, 1/2 c white flour, cause that's just how I roll)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix it together like you would for a pie - mix the dry ingredients together and then cut in the butter. It should look somewhat like this:Then you take half of the mixture and pat it into a 8x8 pan. Pat it down nice and hard, you are making the bottom crust. Spread the apples (and/or whatever else you are using) over the bottom crust then sprinkle 1/2 c. sugar over the apples (sometimes I use a little bit less than this, it sometimes seems a little excessive. Sometimes, depending on the time of the month, it seems ridiculously skimpy!) Now take the other half of the oatmeal mixture and crumble it over the top of the apples/sugar. You don't want to press this time (although I have in the past and it isn't bad, it is just better with a streusel topping.). Now bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let it cool then cut into squares and serve. If you really want to gild the lily (and who doesn't, really?) you can serve it warm with vanilla ice cream. Yum. Here is the recipe all in one place (for those type A's out there!).

Apple-Oatmeal Bars

Combine in a bowl:

1 c. oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. butter
1 cup flour (can use part whole wheat)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Pat half in a 8x8 pan. Layer on top:

2 1/2 c. chopped apples

Sprinkle with:

1/2 c. sugar

Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Enjoy!

Jill

1 comment:

Betsy said...

You're my hero! I've been looking for a good homemade substitute for cereal bars (in fact, I just typed up a draft of an oatmeal muffin recipe I'm going to post soon), but these look even better than the muffins! Thanks.