Monday, April 28, 2008

We're Staying Put!


After long, long talks and lots of thinking, praying and flip-flopping, we have decided to stay in our house. I am surprised how at peace with this decision I am. I expected to be disappointed (even though, in the end, I was the one who really pressed to stay here) but I'm really not. I think the idea of having extra money, paying off debts, building savings, and being able to do some fun stuff with the kids was the motivator in the end. It also helps that we figured out where to put in the raspberries!!

I'm not really sure why but I've been really feeling passionate about, for lack of a better word, "being a good steward." I feel like we only have one earth and I need to do my part to care for it. I need to not be wasteful and decrease my "footprint" on the earth. At the same time, I feel like the Lord has blessed me with a nice life, my husband works hard and we have everything we need so I should be a good steward of that also. Jim and agree that we could afford to buy a new house with land but we wonder if we should afford it. In the end we decided that it was much wiser to stay here and use that extra money for other, more important, things. Besides, when we went and looked at houses, we realized that the house we really wanted was the one we were living in! Not all the children are happy with our decision but we are hopeful that once they see what the extra money will allow us to do, they won't be as disappointed.

No comments: