Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Family Picnic


This weekend, despite the triple-digit weather (a rarity here in Oregon), Hubby and I and Hubby's whole family gathered in a local park for a family birthday party. I have to admit I wasn't excited to go. The temperature had been over 100 for the past three days and the thought of going and sitting in a park did not excite me. I'm not going to lie, I like my air conditioning. I know it's bad for the planet, but it is good for my psyche!

Once we got there I was glad I had come. Our picnic area was mostly in the shade. The food was good and the company was even better.

There was basketball playing, present opening, lots of food and a couple of the cutest kids not given birth to by me. My niece and nephew:

Don't let that cute adorable face fool you! He's in constant motion and not always the direction you want him to go! But he's sweet and good natured and interested in everything. And mostly comes back when you call him. Mostly.
Does that girl not look like Betty Boop? When you see her in person, you think to yourself - "Where have I seen that face before?" And then it hits you - "She's Betty Boop!" I guess actually she is a Baby Betty Boop (say that three times fast!). She is as sweet as she is cute, too.

The two of them are great friends. He knows how to push her buttons and she stands her ground. That is kind of what family is all about, isn't it? In families we know how to push each other's buttons. Sometimes we get far too much pleasure in pushing those buttons. But having our buttons pushed, our boundaries tested, and our patience tried, helps us learn how to stand our ground. It is where we learn to deal with that grumpy boss or that neighbor who drives us nuts. So, really, we should be very thankful that our families know exactly which thing drives us nuts, and then proceed to do just that!!

Nobody got driven nuts this weekend (well, no one over the age of three!). We had a fabulous time catching up and visiting.

Families are so important. And I'm so thankful for mine.

Jill

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

Aren't you glad you went now? They are precious. She does kinda look like Betty Boop. Sounds like y'all had an awesome time!