(check out Organizing Junkie for more great menu ideas!)I have been saying for weeks now that "this week I'm trying to spend less on groceries." Every week except one I have failed miserably. Partly this is because I'm weak and when I see a sale I am driven to stock up - we have canned black, white and chili beans coming out our ears, we have spaghetti sauce to feed an army, and I found a killer deal on cereal and had to stock up. The other reason I have spent so much is that prices are going up! Last week I really did just buy what we needed and I spent $81.00! Ouch!
This week, I really am going to go cheap. I have planned menus that can be made almost exclusively out of my Crazyville Food Shoppe. I will need milk and some fresh fruit, period. The only glitch in my plan is that it is supposed to be really, really hot here. I hate baking when it is hot and I had planned baked stuffed for snacks/breakfasts. I'm not sure if I'll switch my plan or not. I figure for breakfast it won't be hot yet (but the oven will heat up my house, sigh). I'll just see how it goes, but for now, this is my menu.
- wagon wheel chili (boil wagon wheel pasta, drain, add one can of your favorite chili and one can of tomato sauce, mix well and top with shredded cheese)
- Easy Bean and Cheese Rounds (double the recipe)
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Mac and cheese
- Frito Salad (regular tossed salad with a can of "Ranch Style Beans" added, some shredded cheese and some Fritos, Toss with Catalina dressing)
- Chicken Crockpot Thing (we never know what to call this but it is boneless skinless chicken breasts, can of cheddar broccoli soup, a soup can of milk - cook in crockpot until chicken is cooked and starts to fall apart. Shred the chicken, return to crockpot, add some cooked broccoli if desired and serve over rice.)
- Spanish Tortilla (this link is for a recipe which is similar to the one I make except we leave out the sausage)
- Spaghetti Carbonara (the link is for a recipe which is similar to the one I make except we of course make much, much more! We also use bacon instead of pancetta - I'm sure the pancetta is much more authentic but it is also much more expensive! And I have bacon in my freezer!)
- Quesadillas/Burritos - set out tortillas, refried beans (homemade probably, cause it's cheaper), shredded cheese, salsa, rice, sour cream and let everyone make their own.