Friday, October 10, 2008

Day Ten

I had the day off today and it was lovely! I slept in, which did my cold a world of good. I still am very snuffily and drippy but I don't feel horrible.

My sister and I went and visited my other sister in the hospital (she had surgery but is doing fine), and then we went out to lunch. Yes, you read that right, we went out to lunch. And I paid for my lunch. And I didn't feel guilty about it at all. I know that I'm only supposed to be spending money on necessary things. But I felt like this was necessary - now that my sister and I are both working we never have time to get together and I really miss that. We really needed to connect. If I want to be really "good" I could count the $8 from Baja Fresh towards my $50 for the week. If I do that, I still have $7 left for another gallon of milk and some fresh fruit later in the week.

I am going to get free fruit tomorrow. I have a friend who invited me to go and I'm not sure exactly what it is going to be like but I'm going to go and check it out. There are apples, pears, grapes and "berries" although I have no idea what kind of berries. What kind of berry is still producing in October? I'll update you all tomorrow.

Meals for today:

Breakfast was who knows what! I had toast, some people had leftover pancakes from last night, some people had cereal.

Lunch was Baja Fresh for me, ramen noodles and apples (courtesy of Jana) for the kids, office provided lunch for Hubby.

Dinner was Roman Rice and Beans and fruit. We actually liked this fairly well. I think I would make it again but "tweak" it a little to fit our tastes.

I'm going to bed early so I can get some sleep and hopefully get rid of this cold!

Thanks for the suggestions on what to make. I'm definitely going to make cookies and brownie bites sound yummy!

Jill

1 comment:

Elsi said...

We eat a version of this made with lentils instead of the kidney beans. Lentils and brown rice cook in the same time, so I put both of them in the same pot, add enough water to cover + 1-1/4 inch. Cook for 45 minutes. Cook the veggies in the skillet as described, then stir everything together just before bringing it to the table.

Back when the kids were little, JP walked through the kitchen while we were cooking, lifted the lid, and said, "Hmmm...looks like we're having ticks and maggots for dinner." Our kids like morbid things like that and got a big kick out of it that the dish is now known as Ticks and Maggots. They still ask for it when they come home for a holiday weekend.