Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day Four

Gotta love Saturdays, unless you are so busy that you don't get to sit down all day!

Remember those boxes of apples I talked about? They are now in the form of applesauce and in 20 quarts on my shelf. Not the boxes, just the apples. But you knew that, huh?

I also worked with my neighbor to make her yard escape proof so that our chickens could get out of their enclosure and roam around the yard. The enclosure is just too small and now that the rain has started it is a muddy mess. Now that they can peck all around the yard and hide under the trees and bushes when it gets really rainy. Plus they have access to green grass which they love! But it took forever to sting up bird netting on certain areas to prevent them access to Mr. Grumpy's yard.

I spent some money today. I bought 9 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts which were on sale for $1.69 a lb. plus a gallon of milk and a box of small mouth jar lids for the applesauce I did. It cost $20.24. I'm not sure if I'm going to count the box of jar lids towards my $50. I guess if I'm really desperate this week, I'll use that $1.89 later, but I think I'm going to be fine. So this week I've spent $29.24, meaning I have $20.76 left for this week. Don't tell my family but I'm stretching the milk by adding reconstituted powdered milk to the "real" stuff. I can't add much, cause they can tell but I can stretch it a little. I need to make up some straight powdered milk to use for baking etc.

Today was hard because I canned all day and I really didn't want cook dinner. Add that to the fact that Hubby really wanted pizza and we almost caved and got a Papa Murphy's take-and-bake pizza. But I settled for baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese sauce. We also had our last can of baked beans. I think I'll make some home-made ones in the crockpot and put them in the freezer - they are so nice to add as a side to a meal. Lunches were leftovers or Ramen noodles for the kids. I'm not sure what the kids had for breakfast since I slept in (HEAVEN!). I had leftovers for breakfast (don't judge me, it just sounded good).

Now I'm baking a cake for a family birthday party tomorrow and I'm going to iron my clothes for next week. Right now I'm sitting on my bed watching my Hubby iron his clothes. He also did the laundry and cleaned the house while I was canning and stringing bird netting. He's a keeper!

I'm off to iron!

Jill

2 comments:

Nancy M. said...

I'm glad your chickens can get out some now. I hope they can come home soon!

I have been making homemade pizza lately. It's pretty good. It can be hard to cook when you are tired. I totally understand.

Your husband sounds awesome! You are very lucky!

Rachel said...

You go girl...I hope that everything turns out okay in regards to your chickens.